Wednesday, May 8, 2013

I Am A Guardian

For most of us we consider our dogs, or any of our animals, part of our family. We usually get them when they are very small and as they grow so too does our love for them. While most people call themselves pet "owners" I have chosen to forgo that awful word. I do not believe that we can truly own a living, breathing creature.  I instead prefer to be called a guardian. After all do we not watch over them and protect them, just like we do our children? We keep them safe..on a leash, in a fenced in yard, up to date with all of their shots.
In return we get unconditional love from them. A wagging tail when we return home after a long day at work. A companion to snuggle with when we are sick. Someone for our children to play with and teach them what it means to love with all your heart. All they ask for in return is to be treated with kindness.
I have been very fortunate to have had many different pets thru-out my lifetime. They included dogs, cats, birds and even bunnies. The hardest thing of course is knowing when it is time to say goodbye. Being a good guardian then is the hardest thing you will face. Sometimes your fur baby is just in too much pain to enjoy life anymore. Only you and your fur baby can make that decision. I have always been there till the end, holding my fur baby one last time. It hurts but knowing they are no longer in pain has always helped. That and I have an amazing veterinary staff that understands all of my actions involving my babies. God bless them.
For those of you who are crying...STOP. This is not meant for you to weep. It's to let you know how much joy there is in sharing your life with a fur baby! It's enormous. The love they give us is worth all that and so much more. I do not like to end on a sad note so....

I recently came upon a video that just made me smile. I know you will like it too. ENJOY! Catherine




No comments:

Post a Comment