Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Family is priceless!

This past weekend my sister, Deb, came to my house to assist me. I have a craft fair coming up March 23rd and I have so many stuffed animals to stuff, that I asked for some help. Deb is currently working as a home health aide and trying to get a medical assistant position in a dr's office. She works long hours for little pay. Home health care is not an easy field to work in. Mostly you work for an agency that takes on cases/clients and then they pay you an hourly wage. You have no benefits. This means no vacation days, paid holidays, health insurance or dental. You are at their mercy to give you a decent "job" and hope that the hours they give you are enough to live off of. This is not the case for my sister. If I could list the company name here I would. It's a shame they keep her on a thin chain to work this case  or that one,--"When they come back out of the hospital/rehab." Meanwhile she can't pay her bills because they won't give her enough hours elsewhere because "we're holding you for so and so."  I wish I could pay her for the time she helps me but alas I too am one of those that struggle to make ends meet.
Anyway, Deb arrives Friday afternoon and takes me to the bank and post office. My car is sitting in the garage-dead battery/electrical issues! Argh-those cost a small fortune to track down. Don't get me started there. LOL. When we get back to the house and settle in for the weekend, it's girl time. PJ's on, wine glasses filled, dog out and stuffing materials gathered and ready. We turn on the tv to catch up on taped episodes of our favorite shows. While we listen/watch we stuff the critters. Before you know it the husband comes home from work. He makes dinner, he's great like that, and afterwards we finish all of the ones I had sewn. Wow!
So Saturday I showed her how to layout a pattern on the chenille. While she cut patterns I stitched some of what I had cut earlier in the week. By the time she left Sunday she had cut another full box for me to sew. She must have cut up 3 spreads. I will be very busy the next 2 weeks with sewing, stuffing and putting on the face details.
I love my sister! She goes with me to the fairs and helps me do the setting up, selling and taking down. Without her help I couldn't do it. Once last year the husband went with me. We had a great sale day that day too.
So as I have said, FAMILY IS PRICELESS!

1 comment:

  1. What a great article about family! and crafting together. Wishing you many happy sales during the show. :-)

    ReplyDelete