Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Are you really getting free shipping?

Now a days everyone is looking for a bargain. Be it a coupon for the grocery store, a $5.00 off when you purchase more than XX amount or even free shipping. But are you really getting it shipped for free? In my opinion I would have to say probably not. More than likely what has happened is they have marked the price of the item up to defray the cost of those shipping charges. Unless they are a huge chain like Joann Fabrics that can offer free shipping every now and then, more than likely you will have to pay to have an item shipped. More often these days you will find that you have to spend a certain amount to get that free shipping. That's fine if you need to order a lot from that retailer, but what about from a smaller one. Take me for instance. I have a very small business. I sell maybe an item or two at the most at any one time. I usually ship via USPS. I do however have the option to print my label at home. I also have several choices on how I want to ship the package. Do I want it to go by Priority Mail? Regular post? Or can I save even more with a feature they now call Regional Mail? Here again it depends on how soon the customer wants the product. If they can wait the extra mailing time I would recommend the Regional Mail, it drastically cuts down on the cost. In the end we are all looking at the bottom line and keeping the money in our own pockets and if I can help my customers out then that is what I do.

Till next time,
Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment